Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Morning Snow Day

As I listen to the hum of the furnace fiercely fighting off the winter cold, my heart and mind are restless.The winter storm has brought some peace today, a gentleness that slows us all down, even if it is for a brief moment. We all need to slow down. I think Mother Nature knows that. I am one of those people who rarely finds myself bored, restless, yes, but never bored. Dad always said, "Boredom is a lack of creativity." I have notes and notes rolling across the pages of notebooks and scrap pieces of paper with magical ideas that need to be brought to life. One day.

So I sit here and listen. It is quiet, except for the occasional plow truck gulping up the last bit of snow.  I laid in bed this morning fighting off the urge to sleep in, my mind thinking of all the things I could do today. After-all it is a snow day. As an adult it is kind of nice to get a snow day--that doesn't happen very often.
I watched my fiance sleep, curled up under a mound of blankets; his breathing gentle. An occasional smile danced across his face...completely at peace. Wonder what he was dreaming about?

I ventured out yesterday and built a snowman...the sculptor in me took over as I formed eyebrows and a chin. I love building with my hands...there is something energizing about it. I can't remember the last time I built a snowman. My heart filled with a magical giddiness, the kind you get when you are a little kid. For a brief uninterrupted moment, I was free; free from worry and doubt, free from adult responsibilities, free to just be me. Those moments don't happen very often. It's hard to believe one tiny snowman gave me all that.
Every year I tell myself I want the new year to be different, the new year to be magical...something amazingly wonderful to happen. And each year I am disappointed. I am so consumed with doing what everyone thinks I should be doing, that I have forgotten who I am. It's like my snowman, he is smiling, happy to be alive, it's a new beginning and then life happens and by the end he ends up looking like this:

I think most of us end up looking like this by the end of the year, ready for it to be over, ready for a new beginning..... I could list all the resolutions or goals or ideas that I want to accomplish this year and frantically work all year to obtain each and everyone of them., but if I am not true to myself, then none of it matters and in the end I will be as sad looking as my snowman.

Life comes from within.

Let's see if I can keep up with this blog this year. One of my many goals...haha. 

On a side note, this blog is more therapy for me. I have no followers. It's like talking to myself on a weekly basis, and I can still be considered 'sane.'.....:)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment